The Busy Girl’s Christmas Gift Guide
December 17, 2011 § Leave a comment
According to network television and the lights on every house in my neighborhood, Christmas is quickly approaching and we’re up to the wire for present shopping. Don’t panic! Christmas comes every year and we always pull it off.
SO, what do you do if getting to the mall is a joke (unless you need heels STAT) and you don’t want to look at a computer screen for more than five seconds once you’re done working?
You hire a personal shopper! Obviously.*
*I’d be all over hiring a personal shopper if my bank account could handle it.
No, but really, here are a few ideas for a quick gift on the fly that everyone will love:
1. Alamo Drafthouse gift card tucked into a lovely Drafthouse pint glass – it’s fun, everyone loves Drafthouse and everyone loves pint glasses even more. This is my pick for a work holiday party or a friend gift exchange. Right now, for every $50 that you spend in gift cards, you get a $10 food voucher.
2. Birch Box – Birch box is a service that mails you a gorgeous box every month filled with 4-5 high end beauty product samples. It’s $10 a month and if there’s a sample that you love, you can go on their site and purchase the full-sized version. I love getting this in the mail every month and look forward to the surprise. Sent my best friend a subscription for her birthday and she loves it.
3. Mani/Pedi Gift Card – You’re probably visiting your salon anyways to get your nails did for holiday parties, so pick up a mani/pedi gift card while you’re there. Pair it with some OPI polish from H-E-B and you’re good to go.
4. Cooking classes from Whole Foods – I’d like this and I don’t even cook!
5. Books! – From Book People of course. I recommend THIS book for your single friends who you spend more time consoling and drinking with than is probably healthy. It’s called I Don’t Care About Your Band and it’s by Julie Klausner. I laughed, I cried. It’s essential for anyone dating hipsters, musicians or men in general.
6. Adorable owl mugs from West Elm – “Owls are the new cats.” Is what our intern told us when I won this present in our White Elephant gift exchange. Swing by on your way home from work (easy if you work downtown).
7. Classes from Ballet Austin – Buy your fitness-loving friend a class card and she can work out to her heart’s content. In addition to ballet, jazz, modern and hip hop, they’re offering Zumba and Turbo Kick in 2012.
8. Tickets to David Sedaris – For the fatherly figure in your life (or the old man that you’re dating), pick up tickets to see David Sedaris in Austin on April 23. P.S. David Sedaris is awesome and you should educate your friends if they don’t know who he is.
9. A Roku Box – This is the best present I’ve ever received from an ex. And that’s saying a lot, considering the pretty earrings and other stuff the men who once occupied my time picked out for me. You can order it on Amazon HERE and if you’re a genius and you have Amazon Prime, you’ll be good to go. It’s a little tiny box that lets you watch Hulu Plus, Netflix and other wonderful things.
10. A bottle of Muscat Canelli from Driftwood – Pick up a bottle of this at Specs and your white wine lovin’ friend will think it’s super great that it came from a local-ish vineyard.
Merry Merry Christmas!!